driving-in-europe Back to news grid

Driving in Europe

As travel restrictions begin to relax we would like to update you about driving in Europe and Green Card guidance.

You will need to obtain a green card from your insurer for the vehicle you are driving if you’re driving in the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra. This became effective from 1 January 2021.

Green Cards are an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, guaranteeing that the motorist has the necessary third-party motor insurance cover for travel in the country being travelled to. The UK Government has advised that you can now print green cards yourself. They no longer need to be printed on green paper.

A physical copy of a Green Card is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical copy of a Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country and risk being fined and/or having their vehicle impounded.

Motorists should contact their vehicle insurers to obtain a green card both for their car and, if they are towing, for their trailer or caravan as well. There may be an administrative cost involved. We advise that if you require a green card you should contact your insurance broker or vehicle insurance provider at least 6 weeks before you travel.

You will need to show green cards if you are involved in a road traffic collision. You may need to show green cards at police checks and at the border when entering the EU/EEA or moving between EU/EEA countries. This is likely to depend on the authorities at the border of each country.

GB stickers post-Brexit

UK-registered cars will need to display a GB sticker when driving in any of the 27 EU countries – though you do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

Earlier this year the UK Government announced a makeover for newly registered number plates and licences. UK drivers with these new style number plates won’t need to display a GB sticker in most EU countries.

If you require any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Share this story on your social media:

Share this story on your social media:

Huddersfield office

Northumberland House
Northumberland Street

West Yorkshire

Tel: 01484 820000

Sheffield office

4 Park Square
Newton Chambers Rd

Thorncliffe Park, Chapeltown
South Yorkshire
S35 2PH

Tel: 0114 2965760

#theeastwoodway  |  hello@eastwoodib.co.uk

Eastwood Insurance Brokers is a trading style of Eastwood and Partners Ltd, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office: Northumberland House, Northumberland Street, Huddersfield HD1 1DT. Registered in England and Wales company no. 2560460.

Our privacy notice